search instagram arrow-down
Chaz Green
Follow Life of Chaz on WordPress.com

Top Posts

Goodreads

Instagram

It's getting to be that time of year again where stouts and porters are perfect! 🍺 @foundersbrewing makes the best breakfast stout that I've ever had 😋. - Plus a copy of Ghosts of Ascalon! Guildwars has played a big part in my life (who knows how many years I was addicted to it) and it brings back many good memories ⚔️. - #bookblogger #bookstagram #craftbeer #guildwars2 #stouts #book #foundersbrewing
There is over 300 years in this picture! Each book here is over 100 years old each, including a copy of Macbeth and some Thoreau. I've never been one to buy "antiques", but these were only a few bucks each 🍻📚 - #bookstagram #book #bookblogger #shakespeare #macbeth
Picked up a couple more books this weekend! 📚 Excited to get to Neil deGrasse Tyson's newest release, although that will probably be months from now... 🤷🏼‍♀️🍺 - #bookstagram #bookblogger #books #neildegrassetyson #abrahamlincoln
The next one to enter my collection! I am so excited that this came in today. 😁📚 - Words of Radiance is one of my all time favorites from one of my all time favorites. The signed edition was well worth the wait from Brandon Sanderson! Do yourself a favor and start reading The Stormlight Archive series 💁🏼‍♀️ - #bookblogger #bookstagram #books #brandonsanderson #bridgefour #stormlightarchive
I've been on a bit of a space kick lately, so this jumped right out at me! 🤓🌌 #books #bookstagram #bookblogger #stephenhawking
But what about the plateau of Rome? 🤔 If you are into history, check out Dan Carlin's podcast "Hardcore History"! It's orgasmic. . I miss being able to get the beer from @lordhobobrewing 😭 Consolation Prize is one of my all time favorites. 🍺 . #bookstagram #books #craftbeer #lordhobobrewing #bookblogger

| Facebook |

© Copyright 2016-2018 Chaz Green | All Rights Reserved

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

You can find the summary from GoodReads below:

Deep below the University, there is a dark place. Few people know of it: a broken web of ancient passageways and abandoned rooms. A young woman lives there, tucked among the sprawling tunnels of the Underthing, snug in the heart of this forgotten place.

Her name is Auri, and she is full of mysteries.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a brief, bittersweet glimpse of Auri’s life, a small adventure all her own. At once joyous and haunting, this story offers a chance to see the world through Auri’s eyes. And it gives the reader a chance to learn things that only Auri knows…

In this book, Patrick Rothfuss brings us into the world of one of The Kingkiller Chronicle’s most enigmatic characters. Full of secrets and mysteries, The Slow Regard of Silent Things is the story of a broken girl trying to live in a broken world.

Patrick Rothfuss can write. I read this one about a year ago, and I forgot about it until I started listening to The Name of the Wind on audiobook again.  Immediately after getting back into the world of Temerant I am reminded how well Pat can really write. When I stack his works up to what I’ve read this year, it is clear that his prose goes above and beyond the norm.  The Slow Regard of Silent Things is no exception to this. I consider the journey through this story to be wonderful.

Wonderful is such a good choice because Patrick’s writing just flows, and while it flows, you quickly get attached to the characters. In this case, the character is Auri. Auri is written wonderfully as well. You really get the chance to know her in this spinoff that was missing from the other two KingKiller books. You get to see how her mind works, how she lives, how she acts, and who she is. I saw a video of a gear being made, and after reading this story, I have been associating gears with Auri.

If you have read up to The Wise Man’s Fear , and you are invested in the story so far, you have to give this one a chance. It’s a super quick read, and while short, it is memorable. I’ve seen a lot of mixed reviews, and I think the ones who gave such negative feedback really missed the beauty of the story. The illustrations that accompany it are quite nice as well.

Buy the book here! – The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller Chronicle)

Advertisements

26 comments on “The Slow Regard of Silent Things

1. Lit Lens says:

I struggled to enjoy this one, and I have a high tolerance for the experimental — but this one was a little too out there for me. I just didn’t feel like there was something solid to sink my teeth into, and I had trouble finding meaning in Auri’s strange way of seeing the world… but I respect Rothfuss for trying something so unusual, and I’m glad you were able to enjoy this one! Great review.

Liked by 3 people

2. yalnazalam says:

Great review! :’)

Liked by 1 person

3. Maria H. says:

I haven’t read the king killer series yet, but I will keep this in mind when I do! Thank you for visiting my book blog yesterday.

Liked by 2 people

4. Auri is one of those characters I kept wanting more from! I can’t wait to read this one.

Liked by 2 people

5. TrueWonderer says:

I agree fully, I felt the same way. Read it this year in Feb myself.

Liked by 2 people

6. bobowrites says:

I haven’t read his books yet, but I absolutely adore him as a person. I think I’ll need to check this one out.

Liked by 1 person

7. Andrea Frazer says:

Would you say a 15 year old can read this or is it for adults only?

1. Life of Chaz says:

I think a 15 year old could definitely read it

8. Mahesh Nair says:

You do a great job in presenting The Slow Regard of Silent Things to us. The summary is intense and I love the imagery. I’m curious to know about Auri and her world.

9. I love the KingKiller books so much that I refused to read this one (stupidly) because I was mad that Rothfuss took the time to write this instead of giving me the third installment. I know, it is a ridiculous reason! This is a great review – I have added it to my TBR.

Liked by 1 person

1. Life of Chaz says:

Yeah, I understand how that feels lol. I’m eagerly awaiting book 3. 😁

10. Ilonita says:

I’m the one who missed the charm of the book! 😉 I love both books and I really want to know, read the last one….and you know yourself…we all are waiting for that book to be published.

Liked by 1 person

11. joliemccarty says:

Completely agree! His writing is so lovely.

Liked by 1 person

12. M. Matheson says:

Interesting to come across this piece. A friend just recommended Patrick Rothfuss. This makes two. Thanks for your great piece.

13. Raney Simmon says:

Haven’t read any books in this series before, but definitely sounds like my type of read. Will definitely have to check it out.

Liked by 1 person

14. Ash Ericsson says:

I liked this one a lot. I have a penchant for turning the world at odd angles to examine odd points of view and odd understandings, to see what comes of this.

It didn’t have a lot of things a story normally has. It didn’t even have other characters. But Auri’s uniquely broken thinking invests the objects she handles with character, so much that the inanimate objects in her world are an ecosystem unto themselves.

I found this fascinating to read . . . but without a grounding in the world of The Kingkiller Chronicles, a reader fresh to the world would almost certainly be lost. It takes a familiarity with Auri to be able to appreciate an insight into her mystery.

Liked by 3 people

15. JamiG4 says:

Patrick’s “The Name of the Wind” is on my To-Read pile. Maybe l will have to move it up a few notches…

Liked by 1 person

16. I thought it was very different from his usual work but it had a life of its own. I enjoyed it in its own right and didn’t want to compare it to his other two novels.

Liked by 2 people

17. Heike says:

I have been waiting on this one, knowing it will be the last bit of this world we get for a while. Your post tempts me…

18. livesinstone says:

I loved this one, although at first I wasn’t sure about it, then midway it just kind of swept me away. It’s a strange read, with a unique yet peculiar beauty. I think it really stands more alone from the series than with it even though you have to read the series first to really kind of get it (much like Auri herself, which is kind of an interesting concept and just makes me like Rothfuss all the more) but I think the things I liked the most were the things he managed to show us, without telling us, and the things he managed to make me feel with a story that was somehow not a story, and yet it was somehow… more. Yup, wonderful sums it up. Great review. 🙂

19. I somehow haven’t been able to get through this book yet. I love Auri in the Kingkiller books and do want to know more about how she works. However, I just can’t get past the first few pages yet. I’ll sure try again some day though.

20. acountryhovel says:

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing.

21. I look through your posts, Chaz, and we like all the same books and have read almost all the same ones! This is one that I haven’t read. I got really mad at Rothfuss for not finishing the Kingkiller series in a reasonable timeframe. I like to binge read series, and I think I’ll be dead before the third book comes out. So, I just can’t read any more of his work until the whole thing is finished. But this sounds good. I do love his storytelling. Maybe by the time I’m ninety. 😀

Liked by 1 person

22. W.J.M. Brook says:

You have a nice blog. I’m reading “The Name of the Wind” now.

Liked by 1 person

23. E. J. Gette says:

I love this book! Auri is one of my favorite characters ever!